Monday, November 16, 2009

Turkey Lasagna


I'm not a big pasta eater, but I do love a good lasagna.  It's comfort food at it's best with heaping servings of meat, cheese and rich tomato sauce.  Most lasagna recipes are not what I would call simple, with too many pots going on the stove and waiting for it to bake in the oven while you clean up the mess.  And don't get me started on the calories-the cheese alone will eat up your Weight Watcher's points for the entire day!

Since my kids love pasta and because it seems to be on sale every week at either Sunset or Dominick's, I am trying to build my pasta recipe library.  A friend from work, the same who passed on the pork chili, suggested I try Ina Garten's Turkey Lasagna.  www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-lasagna-recipe/index.html.  

It is made with turkey sausage, goat cheese, ricotta and only a few more ingredients that you may already have in your pantry.  Of course, cheese is still a major component in the dish, but turkey sausage is lower in calories than other meats and you can substitute whole wheat pasta.  Knowing that I was going to indulge in this delicious treat, I watched my calorie intake at breakfast and lunch and kept my lasagna portion small and steamed broccoli portion big!  

This is some of the best lasagna I've eaten!  The combination of goat cheese and ricotta provide a creamy texture and great flavor between the layers of sausage and sauce.  Definitely give this a try and maybe store some in the freezer for a last minute week night meal.  Pasta, canned tomatoes, and ricotta cheese are currently on sale at Sunset Foods.

**Picture was copied from the Food Network website**

No comments:

Post a Comment