Friday, November 13, 2009

Poached Scallops with Leeks and Carrots


Earlier in the week I posted a dinner menu for seared scallops and brown rice pilaf.  After seeing this recipe from Real Simple's Best Recipes, Easy Delicious Meals, I ditched the original plan.   Easy Delicious Meals is a smaller version of the Real Simple book Best Recipes and a great buy for only $12.99.  I found it on the magazine racks at Target, and I'm sure it is available at most grocery stores.  This recipe was really simple, delicious and healthy!  I wouldn't recommend it for the kids, but it is a great date night dinner.  I put the kids to bed while brown rice cooked in the rice cooker and 30 minutes later my husband and I were sitting at the table enjoying adult time!  Sea Scallops, Bay Scallops and brown rice are on sale at Sunset Foods this week. 

Poached Scallops with Leeks and Carrots

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 carrots, cut into 4-inch sticks
2 leeks (white and green parts), thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup dry white wine
12 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the carrots and leeks and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Add the wine and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.  Season the scallops with salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables.  Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until the scallops are opaque throughout, about 8 minutes.  Transfer the scallops to a plate.

In a small bowl, combine the parsley, garlic, pine nuts, and the remaining teaspoon of oil.  Stir into the vegetables and broth and serve with the scallops.

Serve with brown rice.  

**Picture posted is from our dinner last night.  I didn't have carrots so I added a little spinach and red pepper.  If you are not worried about calories, I would recommend adding 1-2 tablespoons of butter before adding the scallops.  Lemon zest and juice will also add wonderful flavor to this dish.  **

No comments:

Post a Comment