Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sausage, Cannellini, and Kale Soup


I've posted this, not because all of the ingredients are on sale right now, but because it was so delicious and the perfect recipe for Trader Joe's shopping. Someday I would like to do a cost comparison between Trader Joe's and the other grocery stores. I feel like I'm saving money by shopping there, but my bill is rarely less than $100 every time I go! Is it because I stock up on the items I know are less expensive, like nuts, cheese, frozen items, cereal, natural peanut butter, Greek yogurt, dried fruit, and, of course, wine? Or is it because I buy too many of their yummy treats just because I can't resist? Not sure, but I do know that there are certain items that are best purchased from Trader Joe's. I mentioned a few above, and a few others are found in this soup recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine. Great magazine, btw-expensive, but loaded with great recipes!

It was featured in an article with recipes that can be both vegetarian or meaty. In this case you cook the soup separate from the sausage, then add the sausage to the bowl right before serving. I loved the flavors in this soup and it was very easy and quick to put together. I started making it at 4:45, while my kids where playing rocket ship with the dining room furniture, and by 5:30 the rocket ship was dismantled and we were seated for dinner.

Here is the link to the original recipe.

To make your soup even more delicious, and your life a little easier, use these items from Trader Joe's. Pre-chopped onion, celery, carrot mix(found in produce section), pre-washed and chopped Southern Greens mix, 1 package Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, and 1 package Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Sausage. All of the other ingredients may be found at Trader Joe's so this is your one stop shop. I served it with their Multi Grain Baguette.

**Roast sausage meatballs in a 400 degree oven on Silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheets for 15-20 minutes, or until browned on edges. The easiest way to cook meatballs-no standing over a hot, greasy pan!**

Picture copied from Fine Living website. Our soup was gone before we had a chance to get out the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment