Saturday, January 2, 2010

Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew


Brunswick Stew is a southern classic that I crave on cold days like today. Sweet barbecue flavors slow cooked with meat and vegetables-I'm instantly transported to the south! There is a debate over whether this recipe originated in Virginia or Georgia and the main ingredient was either squirrel or rabbit. I lived over the bridge from Brunswick, Ga for a short period so I will give them bragging rights, but I say no thank you to critters in my stew!

I grew up with Can Opener Brunswick Stew that is very good and easy, but impossible to make in Illinois. None of our local grocery stores carry one important ingredient, canned Brunswick Stew. In my search for a homemade recipe, without squirrel or rabbit, I found two slow cooker versions published by Southern Living. Both are delicious, but I combined the two to get what I consider to be the perfect Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew.

SLOW COOKER BRUNSWICK STEW

3 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium sized new potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 9 ounce package frozen lima beans
1 9 ounce package frozen corn
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
10 ounces bottled chili sauce(heinz or store brand)
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
3 tablespoons butter cut up into pieces

Season trimmed pork with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker. Add chopped onion and potatoes, frozen lima beans and corn, tomatoes, chicken broth, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, chili sauce, worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper, tabasco sauce, and butter. Cook on low 10 hours or on high for 5 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker and shred. Add shredded meat to slow cooker and stir. Serve with corn bread or a biscuit!

Here are the links to the original recipes if you would rather try those. I have had them both and one is with pork and is sweeter, the other with chicken and is ready in 4 hours.

Easy Brunswick Stew


Chicken Brunswick Stew

**Picture posted copied from Southern Living**




2 comments:

  1. Yum! I definitely want to try this. One of my favorite teacher gifts EVER was when I received a quart of frozen Brunswick stew. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all time FAVORITE Elizabeth recipe. Although everything that she makes and shares with me on nights at her house are always levels above my college style cooking, this one is a stand out!

    I am from the northeast so I was never blessed with this meal until Elizabeth first shared it with me. I just love the rich barbecue taste, all the yummy veggies, and the melt in your mouth pork; it is so tender...its a great treat on a cold Chicago Sunday evening! Trust me...nothing compares to this stew!

    ReplyDelete