Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chicken Three Different Ways

I haven't felt much like cooking, or eating, this week, but decided to roast an entire package of Costco organic boneless chicken breasts just so that we would have something healthy in the fridge. It has saved me time in the kitchen for the past few days so I thought I would share the ways in which I put those breasts to good use.

First, I roasted 5 or 6 boneless chicken breasts, seasoned with olive oil and Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper seasoning (comes in a grinder) in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. That night we went out to dinner with friends, but I left the chicken for the kids and the babysitter to enjoy with boxed mac n cheese and steamed frozen green beans.

My son and I went to a late matinee yesterday so my husband was in charge of dinner. He added some chicken to Barilla Plus Farfalle pasta and Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash sauce(featured in a post last week), and served it with steamed broccoli. This man does not cook so if he can handle that meal, anyone can!

Finally, today I cubed the rest of the chicken and made low fat Lemon Ginger Chicken Salad. After two previous meals, I still had three chicken breasts left and now have enough chicken salad to get us through lunch tomorrow. All of these meals were healthy, delicious, and ready in minutes. Most importantly, I have not been thinking much about dinner all week! I will definitely try this method again in the future. Here is the menu and recipe for Lemon Ginger Chicken Salad.

MENUS

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Mac n Cheese and Steamed Green Beans

Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Sauce, Chicken and Barilla Plus Farfalle with Steamed Broccoli


Low Fat Lemon Ginger Chicken Salad
3/4 cup non fat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon honey or 2 teaspoons sugar
3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into cubes
1/2 cup celery chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries or 1/2 cup grapes halved
1/4 cup toasted almonds
salt and pepper to taste

Mix yogurt, mayo, lemon zest and juice, ginger, honey or sugar in a large bowl. Add chicken, celery, cranberries or grapes, and almonds. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper. Serve on a bed of lettuce or with slices of cantaloupe.
** You can always substitute the mayo or sour cream found in most chicken salad recipes with non fat Greek yogurt. It has the same thick consistency and provides rich flavor without the calories! You can find it in most grocery stores, but I recommend Trader Joe's brand because of the price-about $2.00 less.**

No comments:

Post a Comment