Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Burgers and Chips-Nothing More Simple Than That!




I have been cooking this week, but have had no time to write or take pictures of our feasts. I will post some of the yummy and very healthy meals we've been noshing on later, but for now here is my Classic Burger recipe. There is nothing to it because the star is the ground beef. I only use organic grass fed beef, sold at Costco for much less than the grocery stores in a set of three individually sealed 1 pound packages which are perfect for freezing. Grass fed beef has tremendous flavor, is very lean, and doesn't require a ton of extra condiments to create a delicious burger. I'm not strict about cooking with only organic products, however for the low price and great quality, I can't resist. Tonight I served my classic burgers with homemade baked chips (leftover new potatoes that I didn't use in the Brunswick stew last week) and steamed green beans. I am very proud to say that my entire family devoured this meal and I even heard "dinners tastes a really good" a few times!

CLASSIC BURGER
1 pound grass fed ground beef
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

With your hands, gently combine beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Do not overwork meat. Divide mixture into quarters and make 4 patties 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. For medium to medium well, grill on high 3-5 minutes per side, remove and let rest 10 minutes. If using an indoor grill pan cook on high 3-5 minutes per side, move to plate and wrap plate in foil, allowing the burgers to rest for 10 minutes. You can also place indoor grilled burgers in toaster oven set at 150-200 degrees for 10 minutes to reach medium well to well done temps.
Serve with your favorite condiments.

HOMEMADE BAKED CHIPS
4-5 new potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper and mix together with hands, until potatoes are coated. Arrange in a single layer again and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on edges. Flip chips 15 minutes into cooking.

**Picture posted above features the burger on an Arnold's Sandwich Thin, with melted blue cheese, red onions, and Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce-my husbands preferred condiments.

1 comment: