Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whole Foods Revisted

When Whole Foods first arrived in Northbrook, I was thrilled to have a huge, beautiful grocery store full of high quality fresh ingredients just a few miles from my house.  After three or four shopping trips I realized why everyone calls it "Whole Paycheck"!  It was impossible to leave the store without spending less than $100 and all of my groceries fit into one or two small bags.  I started limiting my trips to Whole Foods to special occasions or when I needed a rare ingredient that the other stores don't carry.  

A few weeks ago I went to Whole Foods in search of Jicama and whole wheat orzo and was pleasantly surprised.  Of course they had the Jicama and orzo, but they had lowered their prices!!!  There were many, many items on sale and the 365 brand was comparable in price to other major brand labels.  I filled up my cart with great everyday food items, still spent around $100, but came home with 4 grocery bags!

Here a few highlights from their weekly sale beginning 10/7 and ending 10/13.  

Air Chilled Whole Roasting Chicken  $1.99/lb  (reg. $2.69/lb)

Organic Winter Squash  $.99/lb  (reg. $1.99/lb)

Boursin Cheese  $2.99  (reg. $4.49/lb)

Pumpkin Pecan Bread  $3.99  (reg. $4.99)

Pepperonata Pasta Salad $4.99/lb  (reg. $7.99/lb)

In addition to these sale items, I also noticed the 365 brand Organic Chicken Broth with the everyday price of $1.99/box.  This is a very good price for organic broth and everyone should have a few containers of this in their pantry. 

For the last minute I Don't Want To Cook Tonight dinner, try the Whole Foods Tuesday Special of the Day, Whole Roasted Chicken for $5.99 and pair it with the Pepperonata Pasta Salad, both found in the prepared foods section.  Don't forget to pick up a loaf of the Pumpkin Pecan Bread from the bakery to save in your freezer for the upcoming holidays, or just to enjoy on a brisk fall day. 

In honor of one of my favorite food publications, Gourmet Magazine, soon to release it's final issue, I recommend the following recipes.  All recipes earned 4 forks on www.epicurious.com., and may be used with the great deals found on Air Chilled whole chicken and winter squash.  

Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Thyme
www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Capon-with-Lemon-and-Thyme-107968

Malaysian Roast Chicken and Curried Squash
www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Malaysian-Roast-Chicken-14085

Butternut Squash with Pumpkin Seed Pesto
www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-with-Pumpkin-Seed-Pesto-240582

Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise and Ginger Shrimp
www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-Soup-with-Star-Anise-and-Ginger-Shrimp-107399

I can't remember a time when my mother didn't subscribe to Gourmet and I think she may still have all of the issues stashed away in different corners of her house!  One of my first gourmet cooking experiences was when we cooked almost all of our entire Thanksgiving dinner with recipes found in the November 1992 issue.  My mother keeps those recipes in a book, along with some other special recipes from meals past, and every Thanksgiving we lay them out and plan our menu.  Brandied Pumpkin Pie with Ginger Whipped Cream is still the best pumpkin pie I've ever eaten and Sweet Potato Soup with Buttered Pecans almost replaced my grandmothers Sweet Potato Casserole!  I will miss Gourmet magazine, but thanks to epicurious.com, and my mother's extensive library, I look forward to cooking many other great Gourmet recipes.  

All recipes mentioned from the November 1992 issue may be found at www.epicurious.com/recipes/menu/views/georgia_thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment