Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Garlic Mustard Glazed Grilled Pork Tenderloin and Zucchini Salad

     Every week when my husband requests pork tenderloin for dinner so that he can use the leftovers for his brown bag lunch, I have the same thought.  What can I possibly do with this pork that I haven't done a hundred times already!  After deciding not to go with one of our many favorite rubs or marinades, I usually hit the Internet in search of something new.

     I have exhausted most of the pork recipes on Epicurious and Food Network's websites so today I sought help from one of my favorite bloggers.  Deb, author of the famous blog, Smitten Kitchen, has been writing for a few years and has a large index of mouth watering recipes and food photos.  

     On Deb's blog, I found this recipe for Garlic Mustard Glazed Skewers.  She adapted it from a Bobby Flay recipe and then I adapted it to accommodate my sparse pantry.  Below is the link to both Bobby and Deb's recipes, which are almost identical.  Both use a flavor packed combination of whole grain and Dijon mustard, garlic, honey, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, and paprika, but Deb took it another level by adding fresh rosemary.  I loved the rosemary, don't leave it out!  I substituted honey with brown sugar and white wine vinegar with Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar from Trader Joe's.  (If you have never tried this vinegar, you must!)  I can't compare the recipes having only eaten my version, but this glaze was fabulous.  Perfect for grilled meats and would take roasted potatoes to a whole new level!

     I served the pork with oven fries and Zucchini Salad, a recipe that I have been meaning to share with you for months.  I found this on a vegan website and adapted it to use in a class I was teaching to middle schoolers.  I have since made it again, with a group of families at a public library, and both sets of pupils were very pleased with the recipe.  It is beyond simple, incredibly fresh tasting, and hard to believe you are eating raw zucchini!  This is your last minute side dish to go with all grilled meats and for lightening up heavy pasta dishes.  Zucchini is in abundance in all of the grocery stores and farmer's markets right now, so take advantage of the seasonal treat!

Garlic Mustard Glaze

Bobby Flay

Deb, Smitten Kitchen

I marinated the pork for 30 minutes in 2/3'd of the glaze and saved the rest for basting and to serve on the side.  


Zucchini Salad

2-3 small zucchini, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1/2 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
zest and juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and zest, and garlic.  Whisk in olive oil in a slow steady stream until combined.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add zucchini ribbons and red onion to lemon vinaigrette and gently stir to coat.  Marinate for 20-30 minutes before serving. 


1 comment:

  1. Maybe that husband of your should try something besides pork. Ha!

    ReplyDelete