Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Kid Tested and Approved Baked Fish and Chips

Here is a link to a recipe from the July/August issue of Food Network Magazine.  Baked Fish and Chips caught my eye immediately because I always get excited about a good french fry, and when I saw that the recipe was Food Network's attempt at cutting half the calories of the yummy English Pub dish, I knew I had to try it.  I have tried many a baked breaded fish and chicken and most of the time the crust burns or never really gets crispy.  This defeat usually sends me belly up at a bar and grill begging for a basket of fried deliciousness!  Not so with this recipe due to a special ingredient: Rice Krispies.  I know corn flakes are often used in mock fried chicken recipes, but I've never seen Rice Krispies.  It definitely makes the dish, creating a nice, crispy crust on the fish without overpowering the delicate meat.

The fries were also delicious, but the real star for me was Food Networks lightened up tarter sauce.  The base of the sauce is  nonfat Greek Yogurt, a food item I absolutely cannot live without, flavored with relish, lemon juice, and Tabasco.  I'm not really a fan of tarter sauce, but I loved this fat free version and will make it myself from now on.

The best part about this recipe is that not only did all three of my children eat their fish without any persuasion, two of them asked for seconds and one of them ate it again for lunch the next day!  For this reason alone I give it 5 stars and suggest you give it a whirl.  Maybe try adding some spices or Old Bay Seasoning to the dry, crushed Rice Krispies, or to the fish before dredging and it will be more adult friendly.    

BAKED FISH AND CHIPS

Food Network Magazine
July/August 2010

Fat Free Tarter Sauce
(Not featured online, copied from magazine)

2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
splash of lemon juice
splash of hot sauce

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Cover and chill 10 minutes. 

**Picture copied from Food Network website** 


No comments:

Post a Comment