Friday, July 30, 2010

Celebrating Summer with Fresh Produce! Cucumber Cantaloupe Salad, Watermelon Cucumber Salad, and Summer Squash and Corn Chowder

As I mentioned in previous posts I am very fortunate to have a plot in an organic garden.  This is my first attempt at gardening and although I'm pretty sure the other plot owners talk about me, and my weeds I am scared to pull because I'm convinced they are amazing crops waiting to sprout, I am loving having so much fresh organic produce in my house.  We are also fortunate in this area to have multiple Farmer's Markets.  In yesterday's paper, Sunset Foods advertised their own market, with produce from Didier Farm's, held every Saturday through August in their store parking lots.  Below are three great fruit and veggie recipes I tested this week that will inspire you to get out to the market, or in your garden and enjoy one of the best parts of summer-fresh produce!

Cucumber and Cantaloupe Salad
Food Network Magazine July/August 2010



Dominick's advertises their "Locally Grown" section of the produce department.  I haven't seen it in person, but the ad was nice and at least they are trying!  Cantaloupe is on sale through next week.


I didn't make the hens.  I'm sure they are delicious, so if you try it let me know.  Look within the recipe for the instructions for the salad.



Watermelon, Cucumber, Jicama Salad
Epicurious


 There are a ton of watermelon, cucumber salad recipes out there.  This is a good one and I simplified it for an outdoor gathering with kids and adults.  Marinate the watermelon and cucumbers in lime juice and zest, and separate on a platter with small feta cubes.  Top the entire platter with chopped fresh basil and serve with toothpicks so that guests are free to make skewers with all, or some of the ingredients.



Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
Cooking Light August 2010


Some of the best corn I've tasted was grown in Springfield, Illinois.  Even though soup is not what you crave on a hot day, you will find yourself finishing off the pot in no time!  It is surprisingly light and because there are no potatoes in the mix, you don't get that starchy taste found in most chowders.    


**all pictures were copied from websites with links to recipes**

No comments:

Post a Comment